What is Mt. Washington Valley Association for Responsible Vacation Rentals?

The Mt. Washington Valley Association for Responsible Vacation Rentals (MWVARVR) – founded in May 2021 as a non-profit organization – is a volunteer-run organization advocating for the legal protection of short-term rentals (STR) and to advance the interests of all property owners as well as those who provide services to STR in The Mt. Washington Valley.

Who does MWVARVR represent?

MWVARVR represents current and prospective homeowners and STR operators residing in The Mt. Washington Valley or out-of-state, property and vacation rental management agencies, and other individuals and businesses with an interest in the STR sector.

Join our community by adding your name to our list of supporters.

When I donate to or become a member of MWVARVR, how are the funds used?

MWVARVR is 100% volunteer-run. That means 100% of your donation goes to supporting the work we do, which includes:

  • Hiring Attorneys to protect STR and property rights in MWV
  • Creating and sharing resources for hosts that support STR operators and connect hosts with relevant services and products
  • Creating resources for STR advocates to make it easier for your voices to be heard by lawmakers and elected officials
  • Developing and maintaining MWVARVR’s website, social media accounts, communication services, and nonprofit corporation status
  • Writing and testifying to legislators on behalf of STR owners and operators
  • Developing and purchasing advertisements and marketing materials that expand our support network, educate the public, and advocate to protect STRs in MWV
  • Keeping you informed through regular newsletter updates on issues related to STRs in MWV, New Hampshire and nationally
  • Hosting regular member meetings and annual events (coming soon!)

What is a “short-term rental” or “STR”?

  • Short-term rentals in New Hampshire are defined as “one or more rooms in a residential unit for occupancy for tourist or transient use” that are rented for fewer than 185 consecutive days.
  • A “short-term rental” is often called a ‘vacation rental’ and can be advertised through popular online platforms like Airbnb and VRBO, other online or local travel agencies, or directly by the owner.

How are STRs regulated in New Hampshire?

Beyond the current Meals & Rooms (Rentals) Tax there are no specific regulations on a state level.

Some municipalities, including in MWV, may have their own set of STR registration and regulation requirements. Please contact your local Town Hall/Zoning Administrator to find out if municipal regulations exist in your area.

Currently Conway only regulates STR in designated commercial zones.

Does my short-term rental need to be inspected before I can operate?

No, but if you plan to operate a short-term rental in New Hampshire you should consider fire and other safety issues when setting the maximum number of guests allowed. Fire and carbon dioxide detectors are recommended as well as legal egress for all spaces that are to be used for sleeping. Your insurance provider may have requirements as well. 

Do I need to register my short-term rental business with the New Hampshire Department of Revenue to pay Meals & Rooms (Rentals) Tax? If so, how?

If you offer a short-term rental, you are responsible for remitting a 9% Meals & Rooms (Rentals) Tax (M&R) to the New Hampshire Department of Revenue on every reservation that is fewer than 185 consecutive nights. Any rental agreement that is for 185 consecutive nights or more is not subject to MRT.

If you accept reservations exclusively through AirBnB then you DO NOT need to create a Business Tax Account with the New Hampshire Department of Revenue because AirBnB collects and remits MRT on your behalf.

Currently, VRBO does not automatically collect M&R on your behalf and does not remit M&R on your behalf. Under settings, you can have VRBO collect the tax on your behalf, but you are required to submit them through Granite Tax Connect.

If you accept any bookings directly, or through another online listing platform, including VRBO, that does not collect and remit taxes on your behalf, then you must register through Granite Tax Connect and submit a monthly M&R report, even if you have no bookings.

Do I need to display my M&R License? 

Yes. STR operators are required to post their New Hampshire M&R license number(s) on any advertisement including on any online platform listing with the exception of AirBnB.

You are required to post the physical license in your STR.

If a Condo or Homeowner Association elects to ban short term rentals, will my property be grandfathered if the bylaws permitted short term rentals at the time I purchased my property?

Condos and HOAs are separate from towns.  They can ban short term rentals with a simple vote.  However, they must change the bylaws and record the change with the NH Secretary of State to do so.  If they follow the rules to change the bylaws, you will not be grandfathered.  In order to prevent this scenario from happening, a majority of condo owners are required to vote it down.  Even if an owner does not currently rent, they might want to in the future, as the resale value of their condo may decrease if the ability to rent their property as a short term rental is banned.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software